What is IJustWantToSleep®?
IJustWantToSleep is a program to reduce or eliminate snoring due to mouth breathing and incorrect tongue position. The goal of the program is to train your tongue to live on the roof of your mouth. This is accomplished by building the tongue muscles with specific exercises and by making the new tongue position a habit. When this happens, nasal breathing should replace mouth breathing while sleeping.
The IJustWantToSleep program offers a natural, non-invasive way to keep the tongue from blocking the airway. If this program is undertaken with commitment and diligence, participants may be able to change their sleep patterns.
WARNING: If you suspect that you have symptoms related to a medical condition, you should see your healthcare provider to rule out any potentially serious healthcare conditions prior to beginning this program.
Who Can Benefit From This Program?
Basically, the IJustWantToSleep program helps people to stop snoring due to mouth breathing and incorrect tongue position. However, there are other sleep disorder symptoms that often accompany snoring, and this program has been successful in reducing or eliminating many of these symptoms as well, according to the preliminary findings. If you use the IJustWantToSleep program, you may benefit if you have any of the following recurring symptoms:
- Waking up non-refreshed;
- Grinding or clenching the teeth;
- Daytime sleepiness; and
- Preventing your significant other from sleeping.
WARNING: If you suspect that you have symptoms related to a medical condition, you should see your doctor to rule out any potentially serious healthcare condition prior to beginning this program.
Some people who are presently using a CPAP machine to alleviate a sleep disorder still continue to experience some or all of the above symptoms. This program may help them reduce or eliminate these symptoms. The IJustWantToSleep program is not intended to replace the CPAP machine. Any changes made should be determined by your sleep specialist.
Research shows that some children who have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may actually have a sleep disorder2, 3, 4. Researchers at Stanford University Medical Center have discovered a link between sleep patterns and cancer progression7. A large percentage of motor vehicle accidents8 occur because the driver is sleepy. Truck drivers11, shift workers6, athletes10, and military personnel9 are just a few who experience increased accident and decreased concentration and response time because of a sleep disorder.
The IJustWantToSleep program has been highly successful in helping people to stop snoring where their snoring has been due to mouth breathing and incorrect tongue position. It is easy to do and requires very little time. This program is totally non-invasive and drug free. Preliminary study results have shown no side effects nor painful results. Imagine sleeping better and waking up feeling refreshed!
Who Would Not Benefit?
People who cannot breathe through their nose would likely not benefit from the IJustWantToSleep program. However, those who suffer seasonal allergies and sinus infections, resulting in temporary nasal congestion, may benefit from the IJustWantToSleep program when their nasal congestion clears up. Also, people who breathe through their mouth by habit, rather than by necessity, may benefit from this program.
People who experience “nasal” snoring would likely not benefit from the IJustWantToSleep program. This group of people breathe through their nose while sleeping and their tongue usually stays on the roof of their mouth. They report that they seem to be snoring through their nose instead of their mouth.
How Does the Program Work?
The IJustWantToSleep program consists of seven (7) different lessons. Each lesson contains 3-5 simple tongue exercises that MUST be practiced a minimum of two times daily for one week. Look at the DVD or online videos at the beginning of each lesson to be sure you are performing the exercises correctly. If a week passes and the exercises have not been practiced at least two times daily, that lesson should be repeated or continued until the criteria to move on has been met. It is recommended that before starting the program, you should be serious about performing the exercises over a 7-week period as instructed. However, you do not need to wait until you have seven “clear” weeks in a row. If something comes up and you have to go out of town, you can still do your exercises. If something happens and life is too hectic to think about the exercises, then you can pick up where you left off at a later time. Just start the program now! Do not delay! Imagine feeling better when you wake up!
How Much Time Does It Take?
The exercises in each lesson must be performed a minimum of two times daily. Most of the exercises are short and you will probably spend only 5-10 minutes each time you complete them. Some of the exercises can also be performed while you are driving to and from work, working at the computer, gardening, folding clothes, reading, watching TV, etc. The exercises can be performed at home or away from home.
The entire program can be completed in 7 weeks if the exercises in each lesson are performed 2 times daily for 7 days. It would be best to establish a routine and decide in advance when you will do your exercises. If you drive to work, most of them can be done at that time. That means that you could do them on your way home from work also. Some of them require a mirror and it will be best to do these when you brush your teeth, two times daily. If you do not work outside of the home, or are retired, you should incorporate these exercises into your daily routine. Plan this in advance when you start the program.
How Quickly Will I Feel Results?
How quickly you start feeling results from this program depends on a number of factors. It depends on your anatomy, the strength of your tongue, your willingness to follow the program and your desire to reduce or eliminate your snoring due to mouth breathing and an incorrect tongue position. This program is easy and many people have seen remarkable results in just two days! Others start seeing results in one to two weeks, and some may take six weeks. For effective results, you must complete the entire program because some muscles are weaker than others and need more time to get stronger.
What Do Former Participants Say?
The following statements are quotes from people who have used the I Just Want to Sleep program:
After Lesson 1:
- “My tongue is staying on the roof of my mouth more.”
- “My spouse says I am snoring less.”
- “I am only getting up one time during the night as opposed to 3 or 4.”
- “The rooster next door didn’t wake me up!”
- “My spouse has slept good this week.”
- “Initially, only the tip of my tongue stayed up. By the end of the week, the middle part of my tongue was up on the roof also.”
- “I am not snoring at all!”
After Lesson 2:
- “I definitely know where my tongue is!”
- “My spouse says I am ‘wolfling’ instead of snoring.”
- “My wife can’t report on my snoring because she is now sleeping all night!”
- “My tongue is on the roof of my mouth ALL of the time.”
- “I have not awakened gasping for air all week.”
- “I can now sleep for 4 hours before I wake up. I used to wake up every 2 hours.”
- “I am not grinding my teeth now.”
- “My mouth is not dry when I wake up.”
After Lesson 3:
- “I am waking up more refreshed.”
- “I am not sweating during the night.”
- “I am sleeping deeper and dreaming more.”
- “My tongue is vacuumed on the roof of my mouth!”
- “I didn’t wake up at all last night!”
- “I am seeing an improvement in every area!”
- “I am not as sleepy during the day.”
- “I ride a bike and can tell my breathing is better.”
After Lesson 4:
- “I don’t feel the need for a nap during the day.”
- “I can sleep on my back now and still wake up and feel rested.”
- “I am in a better mood when I wake up.”
- “My family didn’t hear me snore when we went on vacation.”
- “My husband hasn’t left our bedroom at night for the last 2 weeks!”
After Lesson 5:
- “I can now turn toward my wife when I sleep because I am not snoring!”
- “My husband let me back in the bedroom!”
After Lesson 6:
- “It’s a pleasure to get out of bed now.”
- “My tongue is not in my way now. It feels like I have an open airway.”
- “It is easier to go back to sleep now when I wake up.”
How soon will I stop snoring after beginning the IJustWantToSleep® program?
This will depend on the individual.
1. Anatomy – is your tongue extra large? Yes, this program may be able to help you.
If you have any kind of nasal blockage that prohibits you from breathing through your nose while you sleep, this program is not for you. Nasal breathing is one of the goals of this program. Your first goal should be to seek medical help to unblock your nasal passages. Then the IJustWantToSleep program should be your second goal to help you sleep better.
2. Personality – Can/will you follow directions? Are you determined to complete the entire program? If you have an extra large tongue, are you willing to do the exercises more often until you get the expected results?
Many people see results after completing Lesson 1.
These results may be that they aren’t getting up during the night or their spouse says their snoring is “quieter.” Other people need to do 3 or 4 lessons before they see improvement. Those with a large tongue may want to do each Lesson for 2 weeks instead of 1 week. Still others may not see total improvement until they complete the program.
Will I have to kick my pets and kids out of the bed?
Absolutely not! You practice the exercises while driving to work or watching TV and eventually you will change your tongue position while you sleep and your pets and kids will sleep better too!
2. “Snoring and ADHD in Children May Be Connected”
3. “ADHD Often Misdiagnosed”
4. “Waking Up to the Dangers of Snoring in Kids”
5. “AAP” Recommends Pediatricians Screen Children For Snoring”
6. “Shift Work”
7. “Stanford Research Builds Link Between Sleep, Cancer Progression”
8. “Serious Motor Vehicle Crashes: The Cost of Untreated Sleep Apnea,” Findley LJ, Suratt PM, Thorax – Volume 56, No. 7, July 2001
9. “Sleep, Alertness, and Fatigue Among Military Personnel in Iraq”
10. “Sleep is Most Important Factor in Achieving Peak Athletic Performance”
11. “Lack of Sleep Makes Some Truckers a Hazard to Interstate Travel”